Wednesday 8 October 2014

Onion-Pepper Sauce

I love sauces over my steaks, my favourite being cheese sauce and mushroom sauce and cheese-and-mushroom sauce... And pepper sauce... Yes, I love my sauces. 
Before the diet, I used to make the sauces mostly with a white sauce as base. Since flour is off-limits in the diet, I had to rethink my method of making sauce. (I am not about to give up my sauces, I will make them healthier, but I will NOT giving them up!!)
So, I had to think what is allowed and what not. Butter, cream and cheeses are allowed. So to make the sauces, I can use those ingredients instead of the flour with the white sauce. 
Yesterday, I wasn't in the mood for a straightforward pepper sauce. I did not have any mushrooms, and the thought of a cheese sauce, didn't even cross my mind. (unbelievable, I know!) The idea of an onion sauce just popped into my head. This is the result:

Ingredients

1 onion, finely chopped
10 whole black pepper corns
1/4t freshly ground black pepper
2 pinches white pepper
pinch freshly ground nutmeg
2tbs butter
250ml cream
1tbs parmesan cheese, grated

Method

Melt the butter in a small pot. Fry the onion in the butter until starting to brown and soft. Add the peppercorns, black pepper, white pepper and nutmeg. Fry a little more. 


Add the cream and parmesan cheese. Cook on low heat for a while, until the sauce starts to thicken. If you want it thicker, add some more parmesan cheese. For a smooth sauce, put it in the blender. I chose the chunkier sauce.

It was enough to completely cover the 5 steaks. And it was sooooo delicious!! 


Yours in oil and veggies

Risch

No comments:

Post a Comment