Wednesday 10 September 2014

Pumpkin Pizza

Yes, I broke the no-carb diet today. How could I not? Wednesday is meat free day, as always, and I was struggling to find inspiration for dinner. And then it hit me: Pumpkin Lasagne!! But this is such a special dish, I thought i will leave it for later in my 365-days-365-meals quest.
So, I thought a little more, and as I was buying the mushrooms (Portabellini's, yumm!) and bacon, my eyes caught the ready made vetkoek-dough. And then I bought it. Still not sure how I was going to make what...
Back in the car, inspiration struck: Pumpkin Pizza!!!
I still haven't worked out all the details, but that happens as I cook. Have a look for yourself, but this turned out perfect. Delicious, creamy, interesting tastes and textures mingling, and surprisingly filling!!

Pizza for me is a very personal taste thing. So the ingredients on here - except for the sauce - is according to our liking, for 2 large pizzas. Please feel free to use the ingredients as your taste buds dictate. And of course it depends on how many pizzas you want to make. The sauce is enough for a generous helping for both pizzas.

Pizza - Ingredients

1kg Vetkoekdeeg
1 punnet mushrooms (I used portabellini, but normal button mushrooms will do just as well)
250g streaky bacon, cut into strips of about 5cm
1 onion, finely chopped
500g frozen pumpkin (fresh will work as well)
Paprika
200g cheddar cheese, grated
200g mozzarella cheese, grated
Butter for spreading
Mayonnaise for spreading

Pizza - Method

Roll out the vetkoekdeeg as thin or thick as you like your base. Remember, it does still rise a bit. Cut to size and fit into a sprayed pizza pan. Spread a layer of butter, followed by a layer of mayonnaise. Sprinkle the chopped onion over. Add half the cheddar and half the mozzarella. Sprinkle Paprika over to taste. Place the bacon, then the mushrooms.


Then the pumpkin chunks. Finally the other half of the cheddar and mozzarella.

Sauce - Ingredients

4tbs plain yoghurt
1tbs mayonnaise
1 rind feta (I used herb, plain or pepper will work as well)
about 1/4 cup milk

Sauce - Method

Whisk all the ingredients together to form a sauce. Not to too thin, and not too thick either. About the consistency of thick cream. Add more milk to make it thinner, if you choose.

Then - pour the sauce over the pizza in a spiral formation, covering as much as you can, and not too close to the edges.

 Bake in the oven at 180degrees C for about 30 minutes to an hour, checking to see if it is ok. The edges of the pizza will start to lift and the cheese will start to brown when it is ready.

And enjoy! This is a wonderful twist on a traditional favourite and the kids love it!

Yours in oil and veggies

Risch

No comments:

Post a Comment