Tuesday 26 June 2018

Spaghetti & Cheesy Meatballs

Who doesn't love meatballs? Well, actually, I didn't. Guess it always reminded me of the tinned version. Not that there is anything wrong with the tinned version, lots of people love it, I just couldn't stand it. I think we ate in kindergarten... and I hated going to kindergarten! I made such a fuss about not going, that my parents were forced to keep me home just before school and our help looked after me.


Another thing about the meatballs that always put me off, was the tomato. For the longest time I didn't like tomato in food. I love my toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches, and I can eat a whole tomato raw like that. And I eat it Spaghetti Bolognaise and Lasagne. But couldn't care for it otherwise.
I must admit, slowly my taste is turning to appreciate the wonder that is tomato. It started with making my own Tomato Soup, and the Spicy Tomato Sauce that goes with these meatballs - well, make it for yourself and see!


Ingredients
800g mince
130g cheddar cheese
1x egg
1/2t ground black pepper
1t salt
1/4t ground nutmeg
1/4t ground coriander
1/2cup raw rolled oats
1tbs origanum
125ml warm water
1tbs sugar
3tbs tomato sauce / tomato puree
Optional:
flour to roll in
butter



Method
1. Mix the mince, cheese, egg, pepper, salt,  nutmeg, coriander, oats and origanum well. Tip: mix everything except the mince and egg well, then mix the mince and egg, and then add the other stuff to the mince and mix well.
2. Make balls that is the size of half your palm and roll it in flour. Arrange it in an ovenproof baking dish.
3. Dot the balls with a little butter.
(The flour and butter is optional, but it gives a little of a crunch to the meatballs)
4. Dissolve the sugar and tomato sauce in the warm water and pour it in the baking dish.
5. Bake at 180degreesC for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until browned.
6. Serve warm with Spicy Tomato Sauce and spaghetti.


... and enjoy!

Yours in oil and veggies
Risch

No comments:

Post a Comment