Wednesday 16 May 2018

Beef & Broccoli Pasta

This winter has fallen upon us very quickly, and it took me down with it. I was very sick last week - flat on my back for 5 days straight - and am still recovering this week. But I can cook again! I really, really love my cooking. It always surprises me how much I enjoy it. Even on days when I am not in the mood, once I start, it's like a prozac - it instantly lifts my mood and I feel accomplished, as if I fit. Does this make any sense? 


Anyway, the green in this dish can be replaced with any vegetable of your choice. I really like the color combination, it just looks wholesome! I am very lucky in that my kids all eat their veggies. Any veggies. My babies eat the broccoli raw - they call it "boompies". My youngest chows down on mushrooms - raw, cooked, she devours it! 






Ingredients
500g goulash, cut into small pieces
2tbs soya sauce
1 beef stock cube
500ml warm water
1/4t freshly ground black pepper
2 onions, finely chopped
50g margarine
2x small or 1x large broccoli head 
1/2 cup flour
50g margarine
salt & pepper to taste
water


Method
1. Heat a black cast iron  pot to very, very warm. Add the meat cubes and fry a little to seal it. 
2. Add the soya sauce and fry for a couple of minutes, to lightly brown.
3. Dissolve the stock cube in the warm water and add to the meat. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes.
4. Pour off about 150ml of the thickened sauce, and set aside.
5. Turn off heat, but keep the pot on the plate, Add the onion and margarine, and cover.
6. Cook the broccoli until soft, but don't overcook. Cut on the stems to make little trees and add to the pot with meat. Mix and cover.
7. Melt 50g margarine in a saucepan. Add the flour and mix.
8. Add 350ml water to the 150ml sauce and add to the flour mix. Whisk well until smooth.
9. Depending on how thick you want your sauce, you can add more water if you want.
10. Add salt & pepper to taste.
11. Make the pasta of your choice.
12. Dish the pasta up first, then the meat and veggie and then pour the sauce over to taste. 
13. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese over for extra flavour.

And enjoy!

Yours in oil and veggies
Risch

No comments:

Post a Comment