Monday 3 November 2014

Spinach Soup

I haven't been posting lately, as we have moved into a new house. And at first, an old, 4-plate electric stove and oven (with only 3 plates working) occupied the kitchen. Very uninspiring. I simply had to buy a new oven!! 5 plate gasstove with electric oven. Absolutely stunning! My first big meal was this Sunday: starter of spinach soup, main of honey-mustard gammon, pumpkin with zest and fried potatoes with basil pesto. It was such a huge feast! I only took pictures of the spinach soup, though... but I cannot post any pictures as my wi-fi is down and I use another camera to take the pictures and this is such a schlep... However, I will upload the photos once I am able to do so!

Ingredients

500g fresh/frozen cut spinach
2tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
500ml cream
200ml water
1/2 cube chicken stock
Salt & pepper
1/4t freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 cup grated parmesan

Method

Melt the butter in a pot. Fry the onions until nicely browned.



 Add the spinach and cook until soft. Add half the cream, cook through. Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Add the other half of the cream. Dissolve the chicken stock in the water, and add to the spinach. 


Cook through. Should you like it thicker, cook longer. Should you like it thinner, add more water. Add the parmesan and cook through. Smooth in a blender and serve warm. 

This is an absolutely perfect starter, as it is light, but with distinct flavours, very healthy, but doesn't fill you up so quickly. 
So you still enjoy your main course!! Goes very well with some crispy bread, too.

Yours in oil and veggies

Risch

No comments:

Post a Comment